President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has ordered for the closer of schools, tertiary institutions, Universities, church, public gatherings and public entertainment for 32 days over Coronavirus pandemic. Other facilities will continue operating but have been ordered to follow the precautions and guidelines given by the Ministry of Health and government.
13 KEY POINTS FROM PRESIDENT MUSEVENI’S ADDRESS ON COVID-19 PANDEMIC
1. Schools, tertiary institutions to close for one month starting Friday, 20th March.
2. Religious gatherings, churches, mosques, open prayers suspended for a month with immediate effect.
3. Political and cultural public meetings, rallies, conferences, elections suspended for 32 days with immediate effect.
4. No outbound travel by Ugandans to or through Category One countries (those severely affected by pandemic) for 32 days. These are; Italy, France, South Korea, China, USA, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Norway Austria, Malaysia, Pakistan and San Marino.
Foreigners can leave but not return in the 32 days.
5. Ugandans coming back from abroad, including category one countries, will be quarantined at their cost.
6. Non-agricultural workplaces, factories, hotels, taxi parks, etc will continue operating but with SoPs, put out by ministry of health, eg compulsory sanitary points, temperature monitors etc. Ministry to publish detailed SoPs.
7. Uganda-style weddings that bring together pentagon of groups will be postponed for 32 days from today. If couples in a hurry, do scientific wedding with core members. Not more than 10 people.
8. Funerals. Burials won’t be banned but recommend should be done by relatives who are nearby. Mourning be done later. If deceased died of Coronavirus, State will take over burial.
9. Farmers. Crop people, cattle keepers, fishermen. These should observe proper hygiene practices. Fishermen should be studied closely because they live in concentrated landing sites.
Monthly (open air) markets suspended for 32 days.
10. Public transport. Taxis, bodas, buses, etc. Advice: Don’t travel unless it’s absolutely necessary. Also, transport operators be given mandatory SoPs. In event of an outbreak in given locality, public transport will be suspended.
11. Stop merrymaking, discos, bars, music shows, concerts. Drunkards speak with saliva coming out of their mouths. Suspended for 32 days.
12. Hygiene. Virus spreads by sneezing, coughing. Observe hygiene. Close your mouth, etc. Stop touching surfaces, wash your hands, don’t shake hands, hugging, etc do online transactions.
13. Diet. Do balanced diet. Eat vitamin C, oranges, lemons, etc.