Cabinet sitting today has approved the change of practice on clearance of public officers to travel abroad among other things. This was confirmed by Cabinet Spokesperson Hon Frank K Tumwebaze.
Cabinet Sitting Friday 25TH August, 2017 discussed among many other items and made the following decisions:
- Approved the change of practice on clearance of Public Officers to travel abroad as follows;
- That clearance for Ministers, Ministers of State, Specified Officers, Head of Public Service, Deputy Head of Public Service, Permanent Secretaries and Chief Administrative Officers will be the responsibility of the Rt. Hon. Prime Minister.
- That clearance for other Public Officers below the position of Permanent Secretaries and Chief Administrative Officers will be the responsibility of the respective Minister.
The Current Practice has been that all travels abroad would be cleared by the RT Hon Prime Minister. The change of practice is premised on the need to reduce the work load of the RT Hon Prime Minister and to enable Ministers to take full charge of the affairs of their ministries and therefore be accountable as Political heads. The measure is also intended to reduce on the cost of travels abroad through rationalization of trips of abroad at any given time.
- Approved the National Export Development Strategy (NEDS)
2017/18 -2021/2022. The strategy will operationalise the Policy on export promotion and coordinate all efforts of different Ministries.
- Directed all responsible Ministers to undertake Sectoral budget reprioritization in context of the NEDS implementation with a view to focusing existing resources on implementing the NEDS.
The Minister of trade will further address the Press next week on Monday to give highlights of this National Export Development strategy.
Cabinet was chaired by the RT HON Ruhakana Ruhunda, Prime Minister of Uganda
Frank K Tumwebaze, MP
Minister of ICT & National Guidance, Cabinet Spokesperson