Cabinet meeting today Friday 18th August 2017 discussed and took the following decisions:
- Approved the ratification of the East African Community Protocol on Privileges and Immunities of the East African Community. The fundamental objective of the Protocol is to standardize the status, privileges and immunities to be accorded to members states in matters concerning:
-The assets and properties of the Community wherever situated in the Partner States;
-The employees of the Community;
-Funds of the Community and their protection;
-Facilities in respect of official communication.
- Authorized the Minister of Foreign Affairs to sign, seal and deposit the instruments of ratification of the East African Community Protocol on Privileges and Immunities.
- Approved the appointment of seven new members of the Board of Directors of the Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) Bureau. The members include:
Mr. Oleny Charles Ojok Chairperson;
Ms. Androa Loyce Gloria Vice Chairperson;
Mr. Ratibu Buga Member
Ms. Damalie Kironde Member
Mr. Don Mugimba Member
Mr. John Mulimba Member
Ms. Margret Sekagya Member
- Approved the ratification of the Inter-Governmental Agreement between the Republic of Uganda and the Republic of Tanzania for the East African Crude Oil Pipeline (EACOP) Project.
The Inter-Governmental Agreement is a Treaty between the Republic of Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania and some of its articles include:
Cooperation; which requires States to cooperate in order to establish and maintain necessary and favorable conditions for the implementation of the EACOP Project;
Land Rights ; the States undertake to ensure that the acquisition and grant of Land rights in their territory and maintenance and possession of such rights by the pipeline project company is fair, transparent and legally enforceable;
Security; the provision highlights the Governments role in providing for the safety and security for the Project;
National Content ; the States will cooperate with each other and with the Pipeline Project Company in order to identify, develop and agree in a timely manner National Content Plans, National Content obligations and Procurement plans.
- Authorized the Minister of Energy and Mineral Development to lay the ratified instrument Inter-Governmental Agreement before Parliament in accordance with the Ratification of Treaties Act, Chapter 204 of the Laws of Uganda.
- Authorized the Minister of Foreign Affairs to deposit the ratified IGA and all instruments of ratification with the relevant international Bodies.
Minister of ICT and National Guidance & Cabinet Spokesperson.